In this final post of this series, I’d like us to pray Psalm 121 over our children as they head back to school.
In the craze that comes with back-to-school shopping, two-a-day practices, and the anxiety of beginning another school year, why not pause and surrender your child* to Christ at the dawn of a new school year?
My challenge to you is to walk into your child’s room while they are sleeping (maybe more than once) before school starts and pray this Psalm over them (or even with them at some point!).
Here’s a guide if you’d like help, or just pray the Psalm over them in the Spirit.
- Verses 1-2: “I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”
- Prayer: Lord Jesus, I acknowledge that true help for _________ can only come from You, the Maker of heaven and earth. I surrender ___________ to You now in all the situations they may face this school year.
- Verses 3-4: “He will not let your foot slip – He who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.”
- Prayer: Lord, remember your promise. Please watch over _________. Do not slumber or sleep Lord – keep your eye on them at all times.
- Verses 5-6: “The Lord watches over you – the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.”
- Prayer: Lord, thank you that you watch over us. Please be like shade for _____________ – be his/her protection, comfort, and peace. Watch over ___________ each moment of each day and night this year.
- Verses 7-8: “The Lord will keep you from all harm – He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
- Lord thank you for this amazing promise. Please hold to it – please watch over the coming and going of ____________. Watch over them as they get on and off the bus, drive to and from school and sporting events, go to and from friends houses. Do not let evil have it’s way over them in any way this year. Protect them and keep them as yours. I surrender them to you in the mighty and matchless name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
*Don’t have kids? Pray this over a teacher or faculty member you know. Or, pray it generally over all the students or staff of the local school near you.